Thursday 25 April 2013

Better than nothing… is it really?

Hi guys! If you are reading this, it means you have somehow found my blog. I'm relatively “new” in the world of blogging, so I'm not sure of the rules, if there are any :) You are probably wondering about the content of it. Well, the reason why I started writing was curiosity. Would it be fun? Would it matter? Would it help? I really hope that my posts will be useful in one way or the other.

How many times have you said: 'oh, it's still better than nothing'? I, for one, have said it too many times already. I'm an average person… no special skills, or hidden talents. I can't fly, or read others' thoughts, I don't own a special iron suit and when I'm angry, I don't look like Shrek on steroids (don't get me wrong, I like the Hulk).
Nonetheless, I am getting tired of making my choices based upon those three words. There are many things that should be at least 'good' in someone's life, or even the best. During the years when I was in college, I worked in a store, which I hated, but it was 'better than nothing', I got a salary that was again 'better than nothing', and the list goes on and on. After a while you start to wonder if you should have chosen the nothing part. People tend to make excuses for themselves, I will find something better as soon as I finish college, I will quit, as soon as I won't need a steady job and so on. Don't go down that road… believe me it is a straight way to feeling as if you were 50, when you're actually 25. 


Image from Wisdom Heart

So the big question is, what to do about it? If you think you deserve something that is way better, if you want to have fun in the weekends instead of working overtime, here's the solution: QUIT! But not before you have thought about things for a while. As I have mentioned before I am not the most powerful person in the planet, but I am stubborn enough to have things my way, if I really make up my mind about something. Therefore one day, after I have finally decided to take matters into my own hands, while I was working a busy shift, I handed in my resignation letter. Soon after, I realised that it would have been ideal to look for another job first, but let's face it, nothing is ideal these days. Exactly 2 months 28 days and a lot of sleepless nights later I have found my next job, which is more than I could have hoped for. If you are interested in how I did it, keep on reading my posts. Till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment